Jun 20, 2024

Pities by Marc Ruvolo - Review

 



Rating: 3.5 of 5

Language: English

Genre: Horror, LGBT, novellas

TW: Violence, death, profanity, abuse, drugs

Pages length: 89


Got the pleasure to have this book for free via BookSirens and it didn't disappointed!

I must say that I don't like when religion is written and be so.... expressive BUT it didn't matter in this book as it was indeed importante for the MC

To know that this story is set up in 1981 and the MC is gay in a uber-religious suburban enclave you can imagine my mind getting.... upset with how some characters was acting. 

Andrew is sick with the then named GRID and everyone in town act like its a rebellion against God and that he will be treated if have faith again. Imagine me reading that nonsense and boiling... Yup you got it... 



I found myself wondering what secrets that garden was keeping and wanted to know more from the moment that we can see Andrew's dad constantly there and that actually something was off. 

This book was well written and switching the scenario in the correct moment living me several times "mad" for not knowing more! 

For horror therms it was a slow burn one. Only in the last 20% of the book is where it came and it gripped me even if not as more as expected.  Sadly this is not the heavy horror I was expecting.

I fell the author could have explore more the horror during the full book. The end sounded forced. It is good as open for a possible new book but so sudden. 

Exactly when the horror was there!
 


On balance this was good and easy to read and a good way to make me get out of my "sabbatical" year where I took no books to read.





No comments:

Post a Comment