Jan 11, 2023

Review - The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

 


5 in 5 star review book

TW: this book have several triggers so please make sure to read them before reading the book: rape (mention of) and extreme violence described) are 2 of them

Ok after 3 chapters done I had 4 questions: 

Who is Anna? 

Who and why Aiden is there? 

Who is the Footman? 

The Black Plague Doctor is an ally or an enemy?


In the first 30 pages of this book I got very confused as I was expecting that Aiden was introduced as a guest and only after the host situation will start... but to think that I was as confused as Aiden itself was something that the author took time to plot and I simply loved it! 

Aiden (that have no memories of his life) need to solve the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle in 8 days otherwise he need to start over and without the information he collected so far. But the Plage Doctor advise him: 2 more persons also are trying to solve that mystery.

While Aiden start his journey he want to know who is Anna and if she is a friend or not as it's the only name that he remember so far. 

He will make allies and 1 big enemy that have also a say so to the infamous Footman (who's mission is making sure Aiden's hosts dye)

During my reading I was certain that the killer was one person and BAM a twist making sure it was not that person.... change my mind to point to another suspect and BAM another twist! So after a while my mind started to work to find answers and to seed if a new clue was there but always with the theory of a suicide going wrong.

I was grabbing my book and my mind was like this: 



I was thrilled by all the information and was trying to find answers but some mentions in the book was like clues to solve this mystery and the biggest question was indeed why the guns was different! 

I can tell that the last 10% of the book was not easy to follow as it was so much information that I needed to re-read some parts because I wanted to know the true! 

Not only we can finally understand who is the killer of Evelyn Hardcastle as we uncover the truth about Thomas death, a missing boy, why Helena Hardcastle went missing the full day and some more mysteries.

Also I got under the impression that the Plague Doctor will simply accept any proof and name from Aiden as it was clear that he wanted him out of that situation.

Did the Plague Doctor got his hand all over this situation to make sure Aiden's wish came true?

Also the last information given from The Plague Doctor suggest that this never happened and that actually events change according with what Aiden decisions was.  So my biggest mystery question is: The killer is anyone that Aiden's events lead on and any name could have free then at any moment?


Simply Genius! 

No comments:

Post a Comment